"JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE LEARNED WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IN LIFE, SOMEONE SPECIAL COMES INTO IT AND SHOWS JUST HOW MUCH MORE THERE IS." ~unknown

Friday, August 13, 2010

Awaiting surgery...

Good evening! First, we have to thank you ALL for your prayers, words of encouragement, meals, gifts, offers to help with the kids...you name it! I am not sure I will ever get to all the thank you notes I need to write, but maybe one day I will catch up on those. So thank you!! We would not be getting through all this without all the help of family and friends, esp. all the babysitting hours that have been needed for Ryan and Sara! I can't wait to be MOM to all three of my beautiful children at the same time and in the same place! :)

We have basically come to the point with Caleb where he needs surgery as nothing else is helping him. He is on a major amount of oxygen, but know that it is not what he needs. It is just flowing like crazy in his nasal tubes just to try and keep him as full of oxygen as they can get him, even though he still has "spells" where his oxygen numbers dip real low. That is why the oxygen is just not making that much of a difference anymore. Also, today, the neonatologist decided that he needs to stop all feedings. They stopped his bottle feedings a couple days ago due to the major amount of oxygen that he is on. He just cannot drink from a bottle and have that much oxygen flowing in his nose at the same time. He has been receiving 60 mls. through his nasal feeding tube, but as of this afternoon, they have suspended that feeding as well. Dr. feels it may be causing added stress to his system to be digesting, etc. so he decided to take that out as well. Caleb is now on just an IV. I just hope he does not become really irritable with not receiving any kind of food now.
My precious boy is becoming more and more frail right before my eyes, each day that I go see him. I pray that his surgery will come in just the right timing, but of course, I really wish it would be sooner, rather then later. We know there are other babies/children that need to have surgery before Caleb, but boy, we would sure love to see that spunk come back into this eyes and pink color to return to his body...
Hang in there, our precious one!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you guys! Thanks for taking the time to update your blog while everything else is going on! That is one thing I wish I would have done when Lila was in the NICU. I have messaged our very favorite nurse- you should be meeting her in the next few days! Her name is Joanne. She is wonderful. Hang in there and give a shout if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete