"JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE LEARNED WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IN LIFE, SOMEONE SPECIAL COMES INTO IT AND SHOWS JUST HOW MUCH MORE THERE IS." ~unknown

Monday, September 6, 2010

One week later...

Wow, are you sure it has only been one week since Caleb came home?! Feels like at least a month! Last week we visited the pediatrician here in town (boy was it nice to only have to go across town to visit a doctor!) and the surgeon (back in Falls Church). The pediatrician did not have much to say, I think he was just trying to get all of Caleb's information started in their system and have a 'baseline' from which to work with in the future. We go back this week to have his weight re-checked, etc. Hopefully he will somehow have gained some weight as his feeding schedule is demanding, I hope it has paid off. Granted, Caleb's entire schedule is a lot of work, so hopefully some things will start to become more routine soon, but the feedings are the most time consuming and are suppose to occur every 3 hours!!

We also had a post-op appt. with the surgeon last week. We waited over an hour to be seen and of course, as it would be with most surgeons, he spent less then 10 minutes with us! They took a quick peek at Caleb's incision and especially the areas we are cleaning each day. Thankfully they were pleased with what they saw and I don't have to take him back for another two weeks this time.

In the last couple days, Caleb has started to become more awake. This can be a nice thing and it can also be very hard. He tends to spend the first half of his awake time eating, although even when he is awake for a bottle, he still does not drink all of it. The hard part about his newly found awake stretches is the fast that he is then really hard to get back to sleep. Thankfully he has not had one of these awake stretches during the night, but I am sure it is coming as he starts to 'wake up' and figure out which is day and which is night. Here's hoping the feedings will improve if he is starting to be more awake. More awake = more hungry?

This week will certainly be a test for all of us. Ryan starts back to school tomorrow, John has to go back to the office (he was working part-time from home last week), so I will be on my own for the first time since we brought Caleb home. Thankfully this week we only have the pediatrician appt. to deal with. Hopefully I can get Sara back to her speech therapy this week as well. She has missed several weeks amongst all this chaos. In this first week I have felt like I am taking care of 6 kids, not just 3. I can't imagine how challenging this week is going to be now that I am flying solo during the day! Prayers for keeping Caleb on schedule while trying to keep Sara entertained, all before Ryan gets home from school, would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of prayers for you all. I hope everyone has a great return to the school schedule. Tell Dr. Madrid that we said "hello". I love him. I hope that Ryan enjoys his first day of school. We're thinking of you all. I may have to just pop in a bit on Thursday. Is morning alone or early afternoon (with Grace) better for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you feeling like I must be taking care of more than just my 3 kids...it is a hard adjustment! Hang in there and hope things start to feel more normal soon. :)

    ReplyDelete